Get Real Get Right*

On Friday night, Jesse and I went to a Sufjan Stevens concert. I've been a huge fan of his music for a long time, but haven't mentioned it for a while, and I've never seen him live.

Jesse has asserted that he could poop on a plate and I would find it brilliant. This is something I can neither confirm nor deny... But I will say that I didn't like his newest album quite as well as some of his earlier work. Others are raving about it, though - and it's been on near constant rotation at my
favorite coffee shop for weeks - so I may have only my Miette-addled mind to blame for my lack of abject adoration in this case.

Something else that needs to be said is that he is not an ugly man.



Image found here.

Anyway, the show was awesome-amazing-crazy-good. I felt a little sick and had a headache and still wanted the 2-hour set to go on. From what I've heard, this show was more pared down in style compared to some of his other tours (fewer people on stage, fewer bizarre costumes), but it was still nothing to sneeze at. Who else goes from introspective hippie-spiritual acoustic strumming straight to a wild dance-fest featuring shiny silver pants, the running man, neon feather boas, Auto-Tuning and audience members at the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall jumping up and down in unison?


In all, I thought I would probably love the show, and I ended up liking it even better than that.
If I thought you all would put up with it, I'd probably suggest one of his songs every single Saturday for at least a year.

*Get Real Get Right is a song title. And I couldn't think of a good one for this post, so I just settled on that.

Comments

Popular Posts