Can We Just Pretend I Put This Up Yesterday?

So I don't really have a formal list of resolutions for the new year, but there are a number of general and specific changes I am working towards. One of them is much more regular/daily-ish posting here. Not sure how long that will last, since I already missed yesterday. But I'll do my best.

That said, yesterday I happened upon this list and particularly enjoyed:

1. At least once every day I shall look steadily up at the sky and remember that I, a consciousness with a conscience, am on a planet traveling in space with wonderfully
mysterious things above and about me.

5. I shall not demean my own uniqueness by envy of others. I shall stop boring into myself to discover what psychological or social categories I might belong to. Mostly I shall simply forget about myself and do my work.

and

6. I shall open my eyes and ears. Once every day I shall simply stare at a tree, a flower, a cloud, or a person. I shall not then be concerned at all to ask what they are but simply be glad that they are. I shall joyfully allow them the mystery of what Lewis calls their "divine, magical, terrifying and ecstatic" existence.

Comments

Popular Posts